Shane spent his childhood in Kent, England before moving to New Zealand with his family at the age of 15. Upon graduating from Auckland University with a degree in Accounting, Economics, and Company Law, Shane moved back to London to work as an Economic Forecaster.
At age 22, after moving to Japan, he started teaching English classes from his tiny Tokyo flat. It wasn’t long before the public took notice of the quality of his lessons, and Shane was able to establish his first English school in Ebisu, Japan. From this single location, Shane English Schools grew to over 200 locations in Japan. There are now several hundred more schools worldwide, and growing!
Shane enjoys music and loves traveling to rarely visited locations such as Papua New Guinea and Mongolia. Over the last few years, he has patiently and dotingly restored Nanteos, a Gregorian mansion in Aberystwyth, Wales, into a five star hotel. He sees this as his responsibility to do what he can in protecting British heritage for the next generation. Shane currently resides in Taipei, Taiwan with his wife, son, and daughter.
- Opened 1st English school in Tokyo, Japan.
- Shane Global Language Centres opens near Oxford Street, London.
- 1st English school opens in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Shane English School becomes both the largest British English school and the largest foreign-owned language school in Japan, with 129 English schools.
- Shane Lipscombe receives the Shane English School Coat of Arms at the Globe Theatre, London. It was awarded by the 'Heraldic Household of the Queen' for recognition of services to English teaching. This was the first time that an English school has been awarded a Coat of Arms.
- 1st English school opens in Shanghai, China.
- Saxoncourt Publishing established.
- Shane Japan listed on TOPIX with a total of 204 English schools.